Welcome to My Blog!

New readers can click here to learn more about the contents and mission of this blog.

March 21, 2011

Blogger Identity Crisis

So, thanks to Mr. Jay Noel and his comment about black backgrounds (:P), I am experiencing what I shall call a Blogger Identity Crisis.  It's quite scary.

Here's the deal: About two weeks after I created this blog, I learned about WordPress.

Now, immediately I was in love with it.  The simplicity and look of it... I know, looks are superficial, but it's just so lovely!  I really, really wanted to migrate my blog over there but thought it would be very finicky of me to do so, having just finished creating this one.

...

But now I've done the impulsive thing and went over and explored WordPress a bit more...and I love it.

I feel like a traitor.  I'm betraying Blogger.  Still, I want to complete the migration, but only if
  1. you all won't mind, and
  2. I won't lose any readers.
Granted, I only have about six or so regulars, heh, but I value you all the same--which means I very much value your opinions.

So, here's what I'm proposing: I'll let you go check out the freshly-created site I propose to move this joint to and then await your opinions on whether you think I should migrate or not.

Is it silly that I'm even telling you all of this and not just making the switch?  I hope not.  I just don't like being impulsive, so I want to know if others think this is a good idea or not.

So what do you think?  Should I buy the new blog look, or does it make my butt look big?

8 comments:

  1. I'm a wordpresser Tiyana, and yes, I also quite love it!

    At the end of the day I feel that you are probably planning on using this blog for years to come, to act as your online identity, the base for your literary endeavours, and therefore you should feel comfortable in it. We'll all make the shift across to join you there, i'm sure! haha.

    I recommend buying the domain too. It's like 7 bucks a month, and you can get wordpress.org downloaded to run it which gives you even more options than the wordpress.com site you ave created. It's what I do, and I haven't looked back!

    Blogging, of course, is about the personality of the writer rather than the look of the site, but if you'll feel more at home over there, make the switch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, reading your wordpress post (not sure if doubling up is cheating?! haha) if you wish to have the followers widget you need to install wordpress.org, which involves buying your own domain.

    It's easy and fun, but don't spend too long worrying about aesthetics. I made that mistake when I started and didn't get much actual writing done at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I see... Thanks for the info!

    Yeah, I know I shouldn't worry so much about the look of this silly blog, but I'm an interior design major, for heaven's sake! Haha. I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering when you were going to come over to Wordpress...Yoyo, I resisted Wordpress for months when a successful blogger had recommended that I switch (I, too, had Blogger account). When my blogging days went into hiatus mode and I restarted once again, I went with Wordpress and haven't looked back (plus, my concerns with the privacy issues of Google...that's a whole other topic though).

    I hope you will come fully to the Wordpress side...besides, we have cookies! LOL

    P.S. Put some color in your site too! I would love to see colors to express your bubbly personality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no...I love cookies. Sugar, chocolate chip, M&M...

    Oh, and don't worry. I have that same background pattern in like a million different colorways. I plan to switch it out every now and then. (I made it for a competition once, which I didn't win, but it was still fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So is this a 'yes' that you will be joining us on the happy Wordpress side?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...

    Here's the thing: You've got to sign up with a web host in order to download WordPress, don't you? Otherwise, you're going to be limited in what features are available to you. (Which, for me, may be a blessing in disguise, heh, but still.)

    If I did sign up for one...I'd probably consider Bluehost (anyone here use them?) 'cause I'm a poor college student, lol. Still, not sure how I feel about doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just saying, it seems silly to go through all of that just to have a "followers" widget.

    Either way, I do like the free WordPress template and have already purchased a domain in my name, so yes, I'll at least be using that for my blog. The whole reason I like it is because it forces me to keep things simple; if given the opportunity, I can easily complicate the simplistic, lol.

    ReplyDelete